With Patricia Buraschi and DC
Date: Tuesday March 1st 2011
Time: 700pm – 930pm
Exchange $30, bring a friend $25 each
During this workshop you will learn step by step the practical skills how to perform Jala Neti and Pranayama practices to take home and incorporate in your daily life for your yoga practice and your general well being and lifestyle. A focus 45 practice will follow led by DC.
Jala Neti is a way of nasal irrigation or washing of the sinuses in a unique manner through a special pot called the Neti pot or the Jala Neti pot. Jala Neti is one of the very ancient yogic techniques part of Shatkarma in Hatha Yoga. The Shatkarma (shat means ‘six’, karma means ‘action’) specifically increase the vital capacity of the practitioner and its effects can be summed up in one word – purification. It particularly benefits the cleanliness of the eyes, ears, nose throat, lungs as well as the thinking processes.
Jala Neti is responsible for the stimulation of the pituitary gland in the brain, which is of tremendous significance in yoga. This stimulation awakens the energy center behind the forehead called Ajna Chackra. This energy center must be sufficiently stimulated for higher states of meditation. Yogis begin their yoga practice performing Jala Neti, which brings them both physical as well as deeper spiritual benefits.
Pranayama is used in yoga as a separate practice to help clear and cleanse the body and mind. It is also used in preparation for meditation, and in asana,the practice of postures, to help maximize the benefits of the practice, and focus the mind. During this workshop we will combine Jala Neti and Pranayama techniques, which will allow you to start feeling its benefits after the 3 days of consecutive practice.
A Didgeredoo relaxation will follow to conclude each class to give time to incorporate the techniques learned.
This techniques will specifically aid you if you:
- Want to remove all the dirt and bacteria filled mucus from your nose
- Have asthma or bronchitis as it reduces the tendency for mouth breathing by freeing the nostrils from mucus
- Suffer from headaches, migraine, epilepsy, temper tantrums, hysteria, depression and general mental tension as it brings a cooling and soothing effect on the brain by drawing out excessive heat and is therefore beneficial
- Have problem associated with the eyes, because it helps flush the tear ducts, encouraging clearer vision and gives sparkle to the eyes.
- Certain types of ear disorders
- Would like to improve sensitivity of the olfactory nerves, helping restore lost or sense of smell, and thereby benefiting the relationship with taste and the digestive processes.
- Are looking to stimulate better powers of visualization and concentration and give a feeling of lightness and clarity to mind.
- Are trying to give up smoking. Since it reduces the tendency for mouth breathing, Neti re-sensitises the nose to the actual pollution of ingesting smoke, thereby de-programming the brain of the physical and psychological addiction